Our Blog

Memphis Weekend in Review ~ August 20 to 22


Thursday / August 20 / Rock for Love 3 BBQ / Ardent Studios

Although I love bbq, I was more excited that I would get a chance to venture inside the legendary Ardent Studios where Jack White just recently recorded his latest record with new power band The Dead Weather. What a perfect place to have an intimate concert for people who undoubtedly love music. The sound was great, and we enjoyed the sounds of Jazz saxophonist Alan Clayton and band then one of my favorite new bands Star and Micey who also recorded at Ardent.

Related Links Ardent Studios / Alan Clayton / Star and Micey
See more photos on my Facebook page.

Friday / August 21 / Paper and Wood Exhibit / Beverly and Sam Ross Gallery, CBU Library

Husband and wife Elmore Holmes and Martha Kelly kicked off their gallery showing of her landscape art on paper and his hand crafted furniture in wood. What drew me was the woodworking and furniture design and only in person could I understand the beauty of the time and effort of Holmes’ traditional hand carved pieces. The exhibit ends October 1.

Related Links Beverly and Sam Ross Gallery / Elmore Holmes ~ Lower Mississippi Woodworks


Saturday / August 22 / Adapt-a-Door Auction Reception / Memphis Heritage Howard Hall


The first ever Adapt-a-Door auction fundraiser for Memphis Heritage and AIA Memphis was a huge success. Howard Hall was overflowing with eager bidders. It’s amazing that a door that you could see in a dumpster becomes, with ingenuity and hard work, a piece of artwork that can garner $400 to $500.
*Congratulations to TRO for their entry “Stack” lamp {shown in photo} for winning best in show, voted by all attendees.
*2nd Place Winner} Elvis Mosaic by Connie Wakeman, Glori Shettles & Lila Sue Roberts
*3rd Place Winner} King Size Headboard & Footboard by Leslie Shankman-Cohn & Jill Hetz.

Honestly, I was so heartbroken that we didn’t get to finish our piece because of shop facility complications that I considered skipping out. I hate to admit I decided to go because my entry fee included free tickets but I was there to support my fellow designers and learn for next year.

Related Links Memphis Heritage / AIA Memphis / TRO Stack Blog
If you are interested in seeing the design we wanted to enter as MODOhome, click here.


Saturday / August 22 / Rock for Love 3 ~ Night #2 / Hi-Tone Café

What a bargain! 5 great bands for $10 and it goes to a great cause. With the silent auction, merchandise sale, and ticket sales, the Rock for Love coordinators should be proud. Oh and yes, I can scratch off “see a show at the Hi-Tone” from my “Why Haven’t I Done This Yet” list.

Related Links Makeshift Music Buy the Makeshift 5 CD to benefit the CHC / Church Health Center


Who We Saw River City Tanlines / Two Way Radio / The Magic Kids /
Jeffrey James and The Haul / Jason Freeman

Photos from artists' websites unless noted otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

norococo Designed by Templateism | MyBloggerLab Copyright © 2014

Powered by Blogger.