Our Blog

Tasted ~ River Oaks




There is no doubt River Oaks is one of the best rated restaurants in Memphis, but when Chef Matthew Crone, instructor at L' Ecole Culinaire, told me the best chef in Memphis was Jose Gutierrez, River Oaks' master chef, I could not wait to try it. See the images below of the spectacular dinner Christopher and I had for our anniversary last week. These images were the best I could do in the dim, although romantic, light.

Tasted {Favorites*}
~ Mango Margarita
~ Camembert Cheese Beignets with Ratatouille *
~ Pan Seared Halibut with Crispy Potatoes, Edamame, Capers, Haricots Verts, Olives *
~ Pan Seared Grouper with Sweet Corn and Bacon {The Night's Special} *
~ Trio of Sorbets
~ Fresh Fruit Panna Cotta {Eggless custard}




The cheesy beignet appetizer was not great alone but was well paired with the ratatouille's excellent fresh flavor. The pan seared halibut dish was a true favorite as all my favorite food elements were packed in one dish. The crispy potatoes were like thick potato chips. I couldn't get enough of them.



We devoured so much of our entree that we opted for light desserts, although the hot chocolate fondant cake and the creme brulee were my first instinct. I also wanted to try the fruit panna cotta looking to be wowed by something new, but now I've decided I should be adventurous at the hungry beginnings of a meal then always end with something familiar and comforting.

Although we had a great meal, I am sure we didn't order the best things on the menu after the ladies next to us raved about the gazpacho, now only served on Wednesdays, and the ground to order sirloin burger. Sounds like I'll be visiting again. Thanks Christopher for the nice dinner and for being my food photo assistant.



River Oaks
Master Chef Jose Gutierrez
5871 Poplar Ave. at I-240
Memphis, TN 38119
ph +1.901.683.9305

Web / Menu / Facebook

Photos by Sophorn.

River Oaks on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm not even a burger person, but the ground-to-order sirloin burger (with bacon bits mixed in!) will make you pass out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop. You're making my stomach growl. I didn't know about the bacon!

    ReplyDelete

norococo Designed by Templateism | MyBloggerLab Copyright © 2014

Powered by Blogger.