Our Blog

To Crave ~ Pho Saigon Vietnamese Sandwich


I grew up on this sandwich and often crave it. The only way I’ve been able to eat it until recently is making a similar sandwich myself but the variety of meats that usually make up the traditional Vietnamese sandwich is often substituted by just a sweetly marinated pork. Not quite the same. Luckily, one of my favorite Vietnamese restaurants in Memphis Pho Saigon just started serving them. They are the only ones I know who offer it. After fasting during Holy Week recently, this was the one thing I really craved. {Note: it may be for a developed palette. True Vietnamese food lovers will like it.}

The Vietnamese Sandwich ~ Pho Saigon Ingredients {*very important}
1} A fresh crisp baguette *
2} Jalapenos, ground black pepper, soy sauce {optional}
3} Sliced pork *
4} Steamed pork roll
5} Homemade ground pork with tomato
6} Pickled shredded carrots and daikon radish *
7} Cucumber *
8} Fresh Cilantro
9} Pate *

The last most important ingredient for me is the sweet chili sauce. The brand I like Yeo's, purchased at the Viet Hoa market on Cleveland, is shown in the photo. I am not sure they carry that brand anymore but make sure it is a pureed sweet chili sauce not with the chunky pepper seeds. All the other ingredients like the pickled shredded carrots and daikon radish can also be found at Viet Hoa so you can make it at home.

Pho Saigon
‎2946 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38111-2706
Ph +1.901.458.1644
Menu

Photos by Sophorn.

2 comments:

  1. I too am obsessed with these things. Lobster King had an awesome version, and it was dirt cheap. Too bad they're gone now...

    I did ask about it at Pho Vietnam on Poplar, and they made me one right away, even though it wasn't on the menu. It was really good too.

    One more thing-- great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just tried this tonight. Loved it! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete

norococo Designed by Templateism | MyBloggerLab Copyright © 2014

Powered by Blogger.