Our Blog

Rock for Love Q+A ~ Holly Cole

///


As an extra bonus, I’d like to welcome Holly Cole, performing tonight at Rock for Love with one of her bands Holly Cole and the Memphis Dawls. She was kind enough to do the Q+A below to talk about her music, Memphis and Music, and Rock for Love. Thanks Holly!

I'm not saying that there is nothing happening in Memphis, because there is. But if fame or career advancement is your number one plan, move to Nashville or Los Angeles(sorry guys) because we can smell goons from a mile away.
~Holly about Memphis vs. other music cities

///
Your Music

Can you explain your musical ventures for those who don’t know? I know you are playing Thursday as Holly Cole and the Memphis Dawls but you also have a new album out as Holly and the Heathens.

Well, In the beginning I would only play as a solo act. It wasn't that I was strictly solo, I was just kind of put off by having the responsibility of coordinating multiple schedules. The Heathens and the Dawls both fell into place so naturally, the possibility of having a band suddenly became reality. Holly and the Memphis Dawls(Jana Misener, Krista Wroten, and I) took on a more subdued, vocal and string driven sound, while Holly and the Heathens(Jake Vest, Brandon Robertson, Greg Faison, Krista Wroten, and myself) took on a more old country/modern rock sound. (If that's possible) Both of the bands gave me two different outlets for my original songs and both satisfy different musical desires.

Will you keep your country-tinged voice/music in your new bands?
Sure, I'm up for progress and change, but I can't imagine the country girl in me ever disappearing.

Where can we find your albums?
Both are available in Memphis at Shangri-La Records, Goner Records, and Spin Street. The first EP(Fearless and Free) is available on iTunes, CD Baby and the Makeshift Music website. The new record should also be available on those sites in the next few weeks.

Memphis and Music

Do you find Memphis as an ideal place for music in general and your music specifically? I’m just curious if certain cities breed certain types of music/musicians.
I think Memphis has something completely unique in regards to a music scene. Historically, Memphis gave birth to a groundbreaking era in music. Some of the most legendary performers came out of this town, so you would expect a scene packed with goons searching for a similar taste of fame, but this is not the case. People are here to play music and listen to music. I'm not saying that there is nothing happening in Memphis, because there is. But if fame or career advancement is your number one plan, move to Nashville or Los Angeles(sorry guys) because we can smell goons from a mile away.

What advice would you give to someone who wanted to start out as a performing musician in Memphis?
Play shows and record. Just don't stop playing music.

RFL 4


Is this your first time playing RFL?
No, I played the first Rock for Love a few years back.

What bands are you personally excited about seeing?
Although the entire line-up looks solid, I am especially looking forward to Skewby, The Magic Kids, The Bulletproof Vests, and Lucero.

Have you attended before as a fan?
Yes, Last year.

Many musicians benefit from the healthcare at the Church Health Center. Do you have any connection to the CHC such as that as a musical supporter this year?
I, myself, am without health or dental insurance at this time, so I plan on getting with the program and taking advantage of such an awesome opportunity.

What can people expect from your live set on Thursday?
The unexpected. haha, I had to say it.

///
Holly Cole MySpace ~ Make sure to see her tonight at the Hi-Tone.

Photo by John Kelso. Banner layout by Sophorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

norococo Designed by Templateism | MyBloggerLab Copyright © 2014

Powered by Blogger.